Working with us
For the first year, you will work out of our Downtown Portland, ME office as your primary location, but we encourage working remotely and traveling even during this time. After the first year, you can set your own working parameters. We strongly identify with the following characteristics:
- We fight for the people trying to create a better future because we are humanitarians that believe the only way to get to a better place is to build the path that takes you there.
- Sustainability is everything. We are a bootstrapped company that has taken $0 dollars in investment money. We make our decisions as a team and ensure only those in the trenches with us impact our future.
- Cross-pollination is the key to creating productive people. We believe that in all aspects of life the more you experience and learn the better person you’ll become. Our career tracts are focused on improving your skills and experience. If a member of the team isn’t learning, we have a major problem.
WordPress Theme Development
We execute custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and some select design agencies, offer branding and identity ideation, SEO services, manage ongoing marketing campaigns, develop applications, and develop our own saas product (https://hopsie.com/)
We find that starting team members with WordPress builds is the easiest way to acclimate them to our development processes and prepare to move upstream to the products.
- Strong understanding of DOM tree
- Excellent HTML5 and CSS3, SASS experience preferred but not necessary
- Detail oriented, ability to execute a build pixel by pixel from a psd or ai file.
- Understanding of flexible grids and responsive web development
- Experience with Advanced Custom Fields and Custom Post Types
- Basic PHP experience to execute custom templates and WP Queries
- An eye for design and interest in UX
We are Rubyists at heart and every member of our team will learn Ruby. These skills are helpful to have, but if not you will have them after a year at Hopsie.
- Ruby on Rails
- Understanding of MVC architecture
- Test Driven Development
- React JS
- ActiveRecord with Postgres
- Ubuntu w/NGINX
- Amazon/Digital Ocean Cloud
- Git Version Control
- Capistrano Deployment Automation
Benefits & Compensation:
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision
- Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave
- 80 Hours Paid Vacation
- 70 Hours Paid Sick
- Hardware Setup of Your Choice
- Up to 5% Annual Bonus
This is a salaried position, determined based off of experience